- 4-way stretch, quick-drying fabric provides unrestrictive movement and comfort
- Adjustable waistband with velcro cinch system for the perfect fit
- Water repellent fabric finish protects from rain and spills
- Two side hand pockets and one rear zipper pocket for storage
- Two zip thigh vents for extra ventilation and additional storage
- Silicone grippers on the back of the waistband prevent shorts from slipping down
- Inseam provides good coverage with legroom to go over knee pads
- 360-degree reflective elements for visibility in low light conditions
- Great for other activities like hiking or everyday use
- I’d prefer side hand pockets to have zippers
- Women’s version only available in black
Fabric: Nylon/Spandex with DWR (durable water repellent) finish
Inseam: 11” (women’s); 12” (men’s)
Sizes: 2-14 (women’s); 30-38 (men’s)
Fit: True to size
Colors: Black (men’s and women’s); Fatigue Green (men’s only)
Availability: Online, retail
How obtained: Company sample
RBR advertiser: No
Shorts That Take You From Cycling to Hiking to Lunch
Showers Pass just launched a pair of shorts, in men’s and women’s versions, that work great for mountain biking, gravel, hiking, or any adventure. The APEX shorts are one of the most comfortable and best-fitting pairs of shorts I’ve tested in a while.
What makes them fit so great? An adjustable waistband has a velcro cinch system that lets you customize the fit. Let out the waist to accommodate bibs or bike shorts, then take it in when riding without a chamois or hiking. Also, the silicone grippers on the inside of the back waistband keep the shorts from slipping down. With some shorts, they get caught on the saddle nose when you remount or move around. These shorts stay in place, so it’s one less thing to worry about on your ride. With APEX’s fabric construction from 4-way stretch nylon and spandex, there’s the freedom to move without restriction, and a water repellent finish sheds rain and spills. This fabric is also quick-drying, which decreases chafing and increases comfort.
The APEX short also has plenty of storage with two side pockets and a rear zipper pocket. I would prefer to have zippers on the hand pockets to keep things secure and avoid puckering. Two thigh vents zip open and provide ventilation or storage. When using these vent pockets for storage, the items lay to the back of the thigh as not to impede leg movement while pedaling.
An 11” inseam (women’s) and 12” for the men’s provide plenty of coverage on the trail or in the sun. The leg opening is wide enough to accommodate knee pads underneath.
Apex shorts are available in black with the addition of fatigue green for the men. It would be nice if the women’s version were also available in more colors. Sizes for women are 2-14 and men’s waist 30-38. Since I only tested the women’s shorts, I can say sizing was spot on for them.
Showers Pass has a new short that will take you from biking to hiking to your next adventure. The APEX short has an adjustable waist cinch and 4-way stretch fabric to make it great fitting, comfortable, and stylish.
Sheri Rosenbaum regularly contributes articles and reviews products for RBR. She’s an avid recreational roadie who lives in the Chicago area and a major advocate for women’s cycling, serving on the board of directors and volunteering with the Dare2tri Paratriathlon Club. Click to read Sheri’s full bio or visit her web site sunflowersandpedals.com.