Question: Some of my riding partners carry only a spare tube and tire lever for emergencies while others haul a whole bike workshop. What should I have for rides up to 100 miles in rural areas? — Javier G.
Coach Fred Replies: It depends on your comfort level. Some riders feel fine with the minimalist approach while others have a nearly neurotic need for preparedness. They ride with a sense of impending doom if they don’t have a 40-piece multitool, a cell phone and $20 in cash.
In conditions that you mention, I think you’re safe with the following:
- 2 tubes
- 2 tire levers
- patch kit
- material for booting a gashed tire (paper money works great in a pinch)
- multitool with allen keys
- spoke wrench, small screwdriver and chain tool (the last two of these could be on your multitool)
- $5 bill and three quarters
- ID with emergency contact information
- cell phone is a good idea if you’re in an area that gets decent reception