I’m long overdue in providing one of my favorite types of articles – updating you on some of our most interesting recent poll results.
Before I get into the individual polls, here’s my one-sentence synopsis:
RBR readers are a pretty fit lot who help fellow cyclists in need, wear bright, colorful jerseys and use daytime rear flashers to be seen, most enjoy solo riding, followed by climbing, often forget to do that thing to their bike they meant to do before their next ride, overwhelming ride mostly or strictly for exercise/sport, and mostly don’t mind paying between $100 and $150 for a helmet.
My favorite of all the recent polls, though, was the one that asked how our “fitness age” compared to our actual age. We as a group should feel pretty good about how fit we are! The vast majority of us have a fitness age somewhere between 10 and 29 years younger than our actual age! Well done!
Now, the details behind that synopsis. Here are the leading responses to the following Questions of the Week:
What Do You Do to Stay Visible on the Road (choose all that apply)?
- 609 votes, 23.2% – I Wear Bright, Colorful Apparel (on my Torso)
- 605 votes, 23% – I Use a Daytime Tail Light (flashing mode)
- 338 votes, 12.9% – I Use a Daytime Headlight (flashing mode)
- 320 votes, 12.2% – I Use a Tail Light at Dawn, Dusk and After Dark
- 308 votes, 11.7% – I Use a Headlight at Dawn, Dusk and After Dark
Which Area of Cycling Do You Like Most (Climbing, Flats, etc.)?
- 229 votes, 27.8% – Solo riding – I like being alone with my thoughts, on my own schedule.
- 151 votes, 18.4% – Climbing – I can get lost in the rhythm of breathing and pedaling.
- 140 votes, 17% – Rollers – I like to carry that speed of the downhill up through the next hill. Repeat.
- 127 votes, 15.4% – Group riding – It’s the perfect mix of almost every aspect of riding.
Do You Ever Forget to do Something to Your Bike You Meant to Do Before Your Next Ride?
- 283 votes, 44.3% – Sometimes. If I don’t do it immediately, I’m likely to forget.
- 156 votes, 24.4% – Sure. It often takes me 2 or 3 more rides before I remember to do it.
- 104 votes, 16.3% – Seldom. I have a good memory for such things.
Do You Ride a Bike as a Mode of Transportation, or is it Strictly for Exercise or Sport? (Choose all that apply.)
- 515 votes, 52.6% – I ride a bike mostly or strictly for exercise/sport.
- 191 votes, 19.5% – Very occasionally I will ride a bike for an errand.
- 89 votes, 9% – I am a regular bike commuter.
Have you ever had occasion to help another cyclist in distress? (Select all that apply.)
- 504 votes, 25% – I helped fix a mechanical problem.
- 481 votes, 23.9% – I fixed a flat tire for someone.
- 336 votes, 16.7% – I offered water or food to a cyclist.
- 254 votes, 12.6% – I offered first aid to a cyclist who fell.
What is the Difference Between Your Actual Age and Your “Fitness Age”?
- 191 votes, 32% – Between 20 and 29 years.
- 172 votes, 28.9% – Between 10 and 19 years.
- 123 votes, 20.6% – Between 30 and 39 years.
- 15 votes, 2% – 50 or more years. [Wow!]
I’m Curious What the Average Roadie Spends on a Helmet?
171 votes, 33.1% – $101 – $150
153 votes, 29.7% – $51 – $100
93 votes, 18% – $151 – $200
59 votes, 11.4% – More than $200